Worth-Try Vegan Green Bean Casserole Recipe
Ingredients & Preparation
This vegan green bean casserole recipe makes 5 servings. Adjust the amounts of ingredients if needed.
- Fresh green beans: 2 cups
- Cremini (brown) mushrooms: 170g
- Vegan butter: 3 tablespoon
- All-purpose flour: 2 tablespoons
- Large onion: 1
- Garlic: 3 cloves
- Nutritional yeast: 6 tablespoon
- Large sprig fresh thyme: 4
- Vegetable or Mushroom broth: ¾ cup
- Unsweetened non-dairy milk: ½ cup
- Gluten-free bread: 140g (3 thick slices)
- Salt: ½ teaspoon
- Ground black pepper: ¼ teaspoon
- First, trim the ends of the green beans and cut them into halves.
- Next, peel the onion and cut it into thin slices (0.25 inch).
Now, we’re ready to go!
How to Make the Best Vegan Green Bean Casserole
It’s essential to follow precisely what these steps tell you in terms of the cooking time and degree. Overcooking will make your beans too floppy and lose their crunch.
Prepare the green beans and onion
- Boil water with a kettle. Blanch the trimmed green beans for 1-2 minutes, then par-cook for 2-6 minutes at about 300°F.
- Take them out, rinse with ice-cold water right away. After that, let them drain.
- Heat a medium skillet at about 250°F, then add 1 tablespoon of vegan butter.
- When the vegan butter melts, add the onion to cook for 10-15 minutes. Keep stirring and turn off the cooker when they turn golden brown. Set aside to prepare other ingredients.
Prepare the breadcrumbs
- First, use clean hands to break the bread slices into small pieces and put them in a food processor.
- Then, add 1 tablespoon of vegan butter, 1 clove of garlic, and 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast.
- Next, process the mixture until you get the fine crumbs. After that, remove the blade, add sautéed onions, then set aside.
Prepare the mushroom sauce
- First, to make a tasty vegetable broth, check out this blog.
- Next, preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Heat a skillet at 250°F and add 1 tablespoon of vegan butter.
- When the vegan butter melts, add sliced mushrooms, ⅛ teaspoon of pepper, ¼ teaspoon of salt, and 4 sprigs of thyme and sauté for 7-10 minutes.
- When the mushrooms turn golden on all sides, add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 more minute.
- Next, turn down the heat, remove the thyme sprigs and add all-purpose flour.
- Keep stirring that mixture for 1 more minute to remove the raw taste of flour.
- Pour a half cup of vegetable broth into the mushroom mixture and stir often. When there are no lumps, add ¼ cup of vegetable broth more and continue stirring.
- After that, add unsweetened non-dairy milk, ¼ teaspoon of salt, ⅛ teaspoon of pepper, and 4 tablespoons of nutritional yeast and stir until you get a thick mixture.
- Next, turn off the cooker and taste. You can add more seasoning if needed. Now you have a delicious sauce for the green beans.
Finish the casserole
- Add the green beans to the sauce and stir well to coat them.
- After transferring the saucy green beans to an ovenproof dish, add the breadcrumb mixture on the top.
- Next, bake for 25 minutes. When the breadcrumbs get golden and the sauce is bubbling on the edges, your casserole is ready to serve.
Tips and Hacks
- To achieve the best texture of green beans, do not boil or cook them too long.
- You can trim ends of green beans after par cooking and rinsing to ensure no liquid is left inside.
- Instead of using vegan butter, olive oil can also work. But if you want to keep the recipe oil-free, use vegan butter with 2-3 tablespoons of water when cooking.
- For a more crumbly topping, choose cornstarch over all-purpose flour.
- Don’t try to compact the breadcrumbs. The rough breadcrumbs topping is what makes your casserole interesting.
- Bake it when you need it. It’s not a good idea to store a baked vegan green bean casserole in the fridge for days.
- Serve this vegan green bean casserole with vegan Thanksgiving turkey or vegan Mac ‘n Cheese.
In short, there are many ways to make a vegan green bean casserole. This recipe is easy to follow, and the result will be great if you don’t overdo everything.
Does this recipe make you hungry and ready to jump into the kitchen? What are your unique vegan green bean casserole recipes? Share your recipes and tips with us in the comment section. Make sure you’ve signed up for upcoming vegan recipes.